Skip to main content

I've Graduated!

Hello Everyone!

The past few months have been an absolute whirlwind of stress, tears, happiness and joy. I can hold my hands up and say that I have officially graduated from Newcastle University. I have finally had a chance to actually sit down and reflect on my time at Uni, and I honestly cannot believe that my three years are over... the saying is true that time flies when you're having fun.

Coming back to my post in September 2015 University? Yes... No... YES, I can now say that going to University was completely worth it. I cannot answer whether I think a degree is beneficial to my future as I am currently not applying for new jobs, however the whole University experience has been priceless and I would not change a thing. I'm also so happy that I didn't have a gap year before Uni. I feel so much more ready to travel now and have just got back from travelling around Thailand which was insane. Going to University when I did was definitely the best decision.

TIPS for UNI

I know a fair few people who are starting Uni this year, and before I started, my sister gave me some tips of her own. I figured I'd share my own with you as going to University can seem like a really scary thought at first.

1) Be yourself

Don't change for anyone, if someone doesn't appear to like you for who you are, be that what you say, what you do or how you act, then they are not worth your time. You're gonna meet so many people in that first week of Uni. Be the best version of yourself and don't judge someone's Instagram before meeting them...

2) Believe in yourself

Even if you do cry in front of a whole seminar class because you thought your presentation went shit, you may surprise yourself. BELIEVE and you will achieve.

3) Choose your friends wisely

Make friends with those who are honest and you can trust, and the ones who hold your hair back when you're sick. Surround yourself with people who make you happy and love you for who you are. If you wanna be friends with someone, tell them. I made a friend from messaging someone asking if they owned a pair of roller skates. Life is too short to worry about being too out there or full on.

4) Do not regret anything

There is absolutely no point in regretting anything. All you can ever do is learn from mistakes, and everyone makes them so have no shame.

5) Work hard (but not too hard)

Uni is a bit like school and sixth form. There are people who are naturally so clever and bright who can literally get a first with their eyes closed. However, there are also the people who have to work really hard to scrape a 2.2. For me, I found Uni work so frustrating, unpredictable and difficult. I would find myself scraping thirds in multiple choice exams that I thought would be easy. I would come out of exams thinking that I absolutely smashed it and then find out I was one mark off failing. I failed an essay in first year because I didn't reference something right. It takes a while to get to grips with it, but first year is all about getting used to it, hence the magic 40% to pass, so don't panic!
On the other hand, in comparison to GCSE's and A levels, Uni really is a completely new and independent way of studying. If you're struggling, you really have to put yourself out there to get the support you need from lecturers because they're not gonna come to you.

6) Have fun

I cannot stress this one enough. You're only at Uni once (well most people are), so enjoy it.

Here is a picture of my in Ricky Road in first year. I look like a 5 year old drinking Frosties. Clearly, alcohol has aged me.
Here I am at the third year grad ball, a very special night.



Here is me on graduation day, the one time in your life you can dress like a wizard.

I'm going to miss living in the Uni bubble; the Jesmond house parties, the pranks, watching food grow into hairy animals in peculiar crevices in the house, and even the endless days in the Robinson library where half of it was spent either crying or gossiping. I'll miss the Digi nights, the unreal cheesy chips and garlic and the afters that never seemed to end. I'll miss the sleepovers, the constant blare of music echoing through the streets of Jesmond and the hungover walks to Tesco looking like an absolute munter. I'll miss the Christmas Dinners! I'll miss the people I saw in lectures every day who I know I will never meet up with. I miss the friends I lived and laughed with, from seeing them every day to now only a few times a year. I'll miss the Uni bubble, and continuously blaming drunken mistakes and bankruptcy on 'being a student'.

All good things come to an end, but as one door closes, another door opens. Here's to the next adventure!

If you are in doubt about going, I would say just go for it. Life is all about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, and at least if it's not your cuppa tea you can say you've tried it.

Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed reading this post, I'd love to hear your thoughts about University!

Lots of love,

Alex

Comments

  1. Great, this is best post for all young age people, but for alcoholic party we have to use Anti Hangover Drink Online

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to cure that HANGOVER

Hello Everyone! So we've all said 'oh I'm not gonna get that drunk tonight'... then a bottle of wine, 2 trebs and a whole array of bev you can't remember you've drank later, you're on the floor puking your guts out in the smoking area of the club, with your best mate laughing and taking videos of you. Yeah we've all been there, and it only ends up one way; with a throbbing headache the next day, regretting your life decisions, and a corker of a hangover that feels like the END. Do not panic! In this post, I'm gonna share with you my five ways to get you feeling your usual perky self again! Step 1: Have a drink There's nothing better than a cold pint of water when you wake up dehydrated after a night of drinking. When I'm hungover, Lucozade always seems to sort me out (forget the bottles, the cans are wayyy better!). A cup of tea is never a bad shout either hehe. Step 2: Go to the loo for a number 2 Think this goes without saying.

Choker Love

Hey Everyone! After settling back at sixth form, I came to notice the 'choker' craze going on. I suddenly saw so many girls wearing the same elasticated black choker around their necks. Despite the choker looking great on these girls, I wasn't particularly drawn to this 'edgy' look for me, therefore I was determined to find the perfect 'girly' choker. So I was having a casual browse around the jewellery stands in Topshop and such a pretty pearly cream flower choker with red/orange gem detail caught my eye... Initially, I thought they may clash with my hair, however I couldn't resist! It has definitely been my September stable and I will certainly be keeping an eye out for more. Cream Flower and Filigree Choker - Topshop £12.50 I love it! Speak soon, Alex x

The Important Lessons I've Learnt Through Learning to Drive

Hey Everyone! Before I begin this post, I would advise you to read my previous 'Learning to Drive: A Demoralizing Burden?' post to get an idea of how much of a 'demoralizing burden' that I thought driving really was. HOWEVER... After what has seemed like a very long roller coaster of a driving journey, I can finally say that I have passed my test, and it really is about blooming time too! Cheeky 'I've just passed my driving test' selfie with my lil' bro... Don't ask about the 'Despicable Me' keyrings... In fact, I tell a slight porky... I actually passed my driving test at the end of April... but driving around in lil' Pepper (mine and my sister's Peugeot 107) really has made me realise that it's when you've passed your test that you REALLY learn how to drive, therefore I thought I'd share my experiences with you all, Since being insured, I've had a couple of small bumps in the car which have scared t