Skip to main content

The things that change when you go to Newcastle University

Hello Everyone,

As a Uni student who overthinks a LOT, there have definitely been moments where I've reflected on my time AT University, but also the time BEFORE. After a mental two years, I thought I'd write a little post for you, all about the things that I feel change when you go to Uni.

The first is... fashion

When you go to University, your fashion gets lazier, and you find yourself walking sluggishly to your lectures in the comfiest leggings you can find, the biggest and most baggy jumper you can get hold of, your gazelles, and no makeup. I am fully guilty of this. For some reason though, on a night out in Newcastle, it seems acceptable to go out in pretty much exactly the same thing, but with more makeup, your Calvin Klein's underneath and the addition of a cap (even though it's night time). Again, I am guilty of this, as shown below.


At the end of second year, I noticed that pretty much every other person walking round Jesmond was wearing either a bomber jacket or a pair of Reebok trainers, both accompanied with a strong southern accent. So basically, my theory is that everyone seems to turn into a Jesmond rah/roadman, thinking they're cool and original wearing vintage Fila sweaters twice the size of them.

Maybe I'm turning into a rah, I mean I did go on the ski trip this year...

The second is... music taste

Before I came to University, I was blissfully unaware of 'DJ music'. This is the umbrella term that I will use to cover all the different musical genres including that of tech house, techno, drum 'n bass, garage and bassline (despite the fact that I still don't fully know the difference between them all). Never would I have expected myself to enjoy bouncing around in a cap and trainers, water bottle in hand in the middle of Cosmic, bobbling around to 'DJ music'. I'd never have thought I'd end up at a drum 'n bass festival that I'd never heard of before, or living with actual DJ's in my halls...

Me at BOOMTOWN

But I've loved exploring different music and going to all the different music events, it's actually been refreshing! As much as my music taste has broadened over the past two years, I'm still a die hard Taylor Swift fan at heart...

The third is... cooking skills

Being forced to cook for myself definitely came as a shock to me. I struggled at the start of first year, pretty much living off cheesy rice and cups of gravy and peas. However, as the year went on, I started to crave good homely meals and ended up just going home to have a good ol' Sunday dinner cooked by Mum. I really had to change my cooking standards, so I started to put abit more effort in with my cooking. It came in handy having chef Reuben as a blockmate, who taught me how to make a mean mushroom, chicken and asparagus risotto and ratatouille!



I never thought I'd end up craving vegetables at Uni but I really do, how strange? I'm definitely no expert at cooking, but there's definitely improvement.

The fourth is... friends

There are always people who you think you'll end up staying in contact with whilst you're at University, but then you realise that sometimes it's unrealistic to keep in touch with everyone. Inevitably, people change, you change, and sometimes you just don't change with others. Friendships also change whilst you're at Uni, and that's okay. I've learnt so much about myself and other people in the past few years and it just makes me grateful for the friends I have in my life right now.

The fifth is... sense of reality

I know this is kinda deep, but when I'm in York, I look at my Uni experience as a dream. By this, I mean that it's like it has happened, but there's no evidence it's happened. Well obviously there's the grades and that kinda thing, but none of the people at Uni are around in my home town. It's like none of it has happened, like it's not real. Being in Newcastle is like being in a floating bubble away from everyone else back at home. It's a life of sesh and hilarious antics. I love coming back to York and seeing my home friends and family, but it saddens me that I only have one year left of Uni. One year left in dreamland, my happy bubble.

I hope you've all enjoyed this little post,

What do you think changes when you go to University?

Lots of love,

Alex

x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to cure that HANGOVER

Hello Everyone! So we've all said 'oh I'm not gonna get that drunk tonight'... then a bottle of wine, 2 trebs and a whole array of bev you can't remember you've drank later, you're on the floor puking your guts out in the smoking area of the club, with your best mate laughing and taking videos of you. Yeah we've all been there, and it only ends up one way; with a throbbing headache the next day, regretting your life decisions, and a corker of a hangover that feels like the END. Do not panic! In this post, I'm gonna share with you my five ways to get you feeling your usual perky self again! Step 1: Have a drink There's nothing better than a cold pint of water when you wake up dehydrated after a night of drinking. When I'm hungover, Lucozade always seems to sort me out (forget the bottles, the cans are wayyy better!). A cup of tea is never a bad shout either hehe. Step 2: Go to the loo for a number 2 Think this goes without saying.

Choker Love

Hey Everyone! After settling back at sixth form, I came to notice the 'choker' craze going on. I suddenly saw so many girls wearing the same elasticated black choker around their necks. Despite the choker looking great on these girls, I wasn't particularly drawn to this 'edgy' look for me, therefore I was determined to find the perfect 'girly' choker. So I was having a casual browse around the jewellery stands in Topshop and such a pretty pearly cream flower choker with red/orange gem detail caught my eye... Initially, I thought they may clash with my hair, however I couldn't resist! It has definitely been my September stable and I will certainly be keeping an eye out for more. Cream Flower and Filigree Choker - Topshop £12.50 I love it! Speak soon, Alex x

The Important Lessons I've Learnt Through Learning to Drive

Hey Everyone! Before I begin this post, I would advise you to read my previous 'Learning to Drive: A Demoralizing Burden?' post to get an idea of how much of a 'demoralizing burden' that I thought driving really was. HOWEVER... After what has seemed like a very long roller coaster of a driving journey, I can finally say that I have passed my test, and it really is about blooming time too! Cheeky 'I've just passed my driving test' selfie with my lil' bro... Don't ask about the 'Despicable Me' keyrings... In fact, I tell a slight porky... I actually passed my driving test at the end of April... but driving around in lil' Pepper (mine and my sister's Peugeot 107) really has made me realise that it's when you've passed your test that you REALLY learn how to drive, therefore I thought I'd share my experiences with you all, Since being insured, I've had a couple of small bumps in the car which have scared t