Skip to main content

University? Yes... No... YES

Hey Everyone!

So it's nearing the end of summer now, and woah it's been absolutely amazing! I've been so busy with friends and family; hot-tubbing it up in Keldy Forest with a few of my favourite girlfriends from Sixth Form, partying hard on the strip in Zante, living it up in Majorca with the fam, and going crazy at Leeds fest with my work gals. This wild summer has resulted in a severe lack of posts on my blog, so I'm sorry guys. HOWEVER, in THIS post, I'd like to inform you all about my brand new adventure which will be commencing at the end of September... at NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY!


I was always very unsure about whether I wanted to go to university. Despite all the pressure there is at sixth form/college to go, you ultimately have to be selfish and think about what YOU want to do. I always knew that I wanted to go to experience the student life, but I just wasn't sure whether 1) I wanted to take a gap year first rather than jumping straight into studying for three years and 2) whether a degree would actually be worth it. Initially, I was planning on taking a gap year to travel and see the world, but despite being hooked on this exciting concept of travelling, I don't feel ready to take the leap just yet. I feel like going to university will be a huge eye-opener to what living on your own is like, and will thus prepare me for a travelling adventure afterwards, when I'm ready to take the plunge.

Regarding whether the degree is worth it (an English Language degree in my case), I guess I can't be sure. So many more people now have degrees that it makes me view the qualification as something quite 'average' and that it's no longer anything special to have. Despite this, the other part of me thinks that having a degree is expected now and will open up many more doors of opportunity. Whereas not having one will close these doors and put me at a disadvantage. How do you guys view degrees at the moment?

Ultimately though, this summer has made me realise how ready I am to 'fly the nest' (as my Dad would say) and get stuck in to uni life. Perhaps I wasn't as sure and open about going initially as in all honesty, I didn't think I would actually get the grades and get in, thus I didn't want to draw my hopes too high! I always knew that if I was to go I'd want to go to Newcastle University to study something English related as that's always been the subject I've most enjoyed. Newcastle also reminds me slightly of York, but on a larger scale with a much livelier nightlife (can't possibly deny that being a significant contributing factor...). I always said it was Newcastle or nowhere, soully because I didn't want to go anywhere else!

So to summarise, if any of you guys are undecided about whether to go to university, my advice would be to do what YOU want to do and let time tell. This summer has completely cleared my head up. I guess I can't say just yet whether I'll regret my decision, but I know that right now, I can't think of anything I could be more excited for.

Here's to a brand new university adventure!

I'd love to hear all of your thoughts about university,

Speak soon,

Alex

x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to cure that HANGOVER

Hello Everyone! So we've all said 'oh I'm not gonna get that drunk tonight'... then a bottle of wine, 2 trebs and a whole array of bev you can't remember you've drank later, you're on the floor puking your guts out in the smoking area of the club, with your best mate laughing and taking videos of you. Yeah we've all been there, and it only ends up one way; with a throbbing headache the next day, regretting your life decisions, and a corker of a hangover that feels like the END. Do not panic! In this post, I'm gonna share with you my five ways to get you feeling your usual perky self again! Step 1: Have a drink There's nothing better than a cold pint of water when you wake up dehydrated after a night of drinking. When I'm hungover, Lucozade always seems to sort me out (forget the bottles, the cans are wayyy better!). A cup of tea is never a bad shout either hehe. Step 2: Go to the loo for a number 2 Think this goes without saying.

Choker Love

Hey Everyone! After settling back at sixth form, I came to notice the 'choker' craze going on. I suddenly saw so many girls wearing the same elasticated black choker around their necks. Despite the choker looking great on these girls, I wasn't particularly drawn to this 'edgy' look for me, therefore I was determined to find the perfect 'girly' choker. So I was having a casual browse around the jewellery stands in Topshop and such a pretty pearly cream flower choker with red/orange gem detail caught my eye... Initially, I thought they may clash with my hair, however I couldn't resist! It has definitely been my September stable and I will certainly be keeping an eye out for more. Cream Flower and Filigree Choker - Topshop £12.50 I love it! Speak soon, Alex x

The Important Lessons I've Learnt Through Learning to Drive

Hey Everyone! Before I begin this post, I would advise you to read my previous 'Learning to Drive: A Demoralizing Burden?' post to get an idea of how much of a 'demoralizing burden' that I thought driving really was. HOWEVER... After what has seemed like a very long roller coaster of a driving journey, I can finally say that I have passed my test, and it really is about blooming time too! Cheeky 'I've just passed my driving test' selfie with my lil' bro... Don't ask about the 'Despicable Me' keyrings... In fact, I tell a slight porky... I actually passed my driving test at the end of April... but driving around in lil' Pepper (mine and my sister's Peugeot 107) really has made me realise that it's when you've passed your test that you REALLY learn how to drive, therefore I thought I'd share my experiences with you all, Since being insured, I've had a couple of small bumps in the car which have scared t